Monday, February 12, 2007

...1 concert to rule them all...

A few years back, I was going to concerts like they were going out of style. I was fortunate enough to see Talib Kweli, Floetry, Common, Blackalicious, Dilated Peoples, Norah Jones & Aterciopelados (just to name a few). Time constraints have slowed that way down but I'm VERY excited about one that's coming up next month down in Long Beach, Cali.

A close college buddy of mine has been hosting Divine Forces Radio (formerly known as Seditious Beats) for quite some time now. The show is a conscious, thought-provoking fusion of hip hop beats & cultural awareness through self. Fidel's been at this for a while, hosting & producing (DFR airs Friday nights from 10pm-1am on KPFK 90.7FM here in Los Angeles & 98.7FM in Santa Barbara). The concert will be held on March 3, 2007 and is actually a celebration of the show's 9th anniversary. A portion of the proceeds will go to the K.R.Y.L.O.N. 13 Educational Initiative and doors are open to ALL AGES (& it's going to be an all-day/evening affair).

I know this might read like a commercial but it's an event based in absolute positivity (& if you're up on current events, you know the world could use as much as of this as possible). I've always wanted to hear KRS-One and X-Clan in person (& I just missed X-Clan's album release party earlier this month) so I'm excited about that, not to mention the rest of this very solid musical lineup. However, I'm MOST excited about taking my little brother to his first concert (shh, it's a surprise!) and, honestly, couldn't think of a better event for such a sacred ritual to occur at.

ps. The only other concert I was interested in for this year was Coachella (because Rage Against the Machine is getting back together just to play there) but they're sold out already. My problem- every year, it seems- with Coachella is that I love artists on all 3 days & this year's no different (Felix da Housecat, Julieta Venegas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gotan Project, Ozomatli, Rage, Manu Chao & the Roots) but, dang, those 3-day passes are pricey! Because of that, you best believe I'm going to make the best of this ONE, though. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home